June 23, 2010

Father's Day

I am very thankful for the opportunity to have celebrated Father's Day last Sunday! I feel very blessed to have had such great men in my life, from grandpas, to my husband, to my own father. I was especially lucky to get to see my dad on Father's Day, even if it was just for the morning before they left for their trip back home to Idaho! The holiday really made me reflect on just how many lessons I have learned from my dad, so I thought I would share just a few.

1. It is never too early to have a positive attitude. (I can't believe I actually miss how my dad would wake us up in the morning with an enthusiastic "Rise and Shine! It is a beautiful day!!" I hated that as a teenager!)

2. Get outside as often as possible. (Dad has shared his love for the great outdoors with his kids and grandchildren. Many of my happiest memories are when we would go camping together each summer. Especially the one when Dad thought he heard a bear but it was a skunk instead.....)

3. If you are going to do something, do it well. (This was mostly learned by example. My dad has to be one of the hardest working people I know and he takes pride in doing it well. As kids, we have all benefited from his work ethic).

4. Be nice. (My dad may actually be too nice. I have never ever seen him be rude or talk down to anyone, even when they really deserved it.)

5. Take an interest in other people. (Dad talks to EVERYONE, from the roadside sweeper to the company CEO, to little kids playing baseball at the park. I love that it isn't just small talk, too. He is genuinely interested in where they're from and what kind of life they live.)

6. Show up. (I don't remember many track meets, games, or recitals he missed. Especially the games, though. :) )

7. Don't take short cuts. (We all learned this one the hard way. On road trips, Dad would say he was going to take a shortcut, and the four of us -make that five for mom- would beg and plead that he stay on the main road. Most of dad's shortcuts, though scenic, were really long-cuts.)

8. Make goals. (Because time will pass whether you are working towards something or not.)

I am sure there are hundreds of other lessons that I have learned, but I have probably embarrassed my dad enough for one post. I love you Dad!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Patricia said...

Thank's Kristie for being so kind and remembering all those good times, it brings back alot of happy memories. Love You
Dad